How To YieldBoost Mead Johnson Nutrition From 1.7% To 11% Using Options

Shareholders of Mead Johnson Nutrition ( MJN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $85 strike and collect the premium based on the $4.35 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MJN shares would have to advance 3.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Mead Johnson Nutrition Co, looking at the dividend history chart for MJN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.7% annualized dividend yield.

MJN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing MJN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $85 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Mead Johnson Nutrition Co (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $81.95) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MJN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Reckitt Benckiser Misses Q3 Estimates, Cautions on Challenges Ahead

Reckitt Benckiser Misses Q3 Estimates, Cautions on Challenges Ahead

Reckitt Benckiser Tops Q2 Sales Estimates, Boosts Dividend Following $4.2 Billion Food Sale
McCormick in $4.2 Billion Play for Reckitt Benckiser's Food Division

McCormick in $4.2 Billion Play for Reckitt Benckiser's Food Division

Reckitt Wrecked By Petya Virus

Reckitt Wrecked By Petya Virus

Reckitt Benckiser Says Petya Cyber Attack Will Slam Q2 Revenues

Reckitt Benckiser Says Petya Cyber Attack Will Slam Q2 Revenues