How To YieldBoost IRM From 4% To 10.5% Using Options

Shareholders of Iron Mountain Inc (IRM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 4% annualized dividend yield can sell the July covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the 85 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IRM shares would have to climb 30.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 34% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Conducting Buybacks »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Iron Mountain Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for IRM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 4% annualized dividend yield.

IRM+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IRM's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Iron Mountain Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $26.73) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IRM Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

In Tesla We Trust, New Study Reveals

In Tesla We Trust, New Study Reveals

3 Hot Reads From TheStreet's Top Premium Columnists

3 Hot Reads From TheStreet's Top Premium Columnists

3 New Investing Myths That Must Be Busted

3 New Investing Myths That Must Be Busted

Dow Skids and Stocks Fall Hard as Earnings Disappoint, Caterpillar Tumbles

Dow Skids and Stocks Fall Hard as Earnings Disappoint, Caterpillar Tumbles