Avnet, Inc. (NYSE: AVT), a leading global technology distributor, has announced that registration is now open for college students across the nation to compete in both the Arizona Onsite and Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games. The events help students prepare for real-world business opportunities and compete for a chance to win scholarships. The Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games competition is open to college students nationwide. The onsite competition is open to Arizona college students only and will take place April 12, 2014, at The University of Advancing Technology, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe, Ariz. Both competitions challenge students to test their knowledge, creativity, decision-making, problem-solving and technical skills. “The Avnet Tech Games has inspired students and the high-tech industry to transform together – raising the bar for education and creating a more qualified workforce,” said Teri Radosevich, vice president of community relations and public affairs, Avnet, Inc. “Partnering with the Avnet Tech Games allows businesses the opportunity to get in front of technology students, who are taking the lead in transforming the future of high-tech.” The 2014 Spring Virtual Avnet Tech Games include:
- Android App™ Showdown - Students develop a mobile application for the Android™ platform by using innovative MIT Android™ App Inventor Technology.
- Green Video Competition - Competitors combine video production skills, environmental awareness and marketing skills to create a short video on environmental initiatives at their college.
- JDA Supply Chain Challenge - Students manage decisions regarding forecasting, inventory management, capacity management, schedule and pricing.
- Build the Fastest Computer - Build, troubleshoot and tune a PC the fastest.
- Cisco Networking Expert Battle - Set up, deploy, troubleshoot and repair a network similar to a small office configuration.
- Desktop Domination - Complete a set of tasks and troubleshoot issues in the Windows 7 operating system.
- Digital Design Dilemma - Create, validate and document a FPGA design that works on a provided circuit board.
- EMC Green Data Center Challenge - Design your own state-of-the-art data center, from the ground up.
- Java Blitz - Develop an application using Java 7 Standard Edition, which is a popular software development language that is used in many large corporations today.
- Robot Race Obstacle Course - Build and program a robot to maneuver objects through different courses.
- Solar Scrimmage - Design, build, test and present the best overall solar-powered "Green Energy" water pumping system.
For more information or to register go to: http://avnettechgames.com/Follow us on Twitter: @AvnetTechGamesFollow us on Facebook: facebook.com/AvnetTechGames About Avnet Avnet, Inc. (NYSE: AVT), a Fortune 500 company, is one of the largest distributors of electronic components, computer products and embedded technology serving customers globally. Avnet accelerates its partners' success by connecting the world's leading technology suppliers with a broad base of customers by providing cost-effective, value-added services and solutions. For the fiscal year ended June 29, 2013, Avnet generated revenue of $25.5 billion. For more information, visit www.avnet.com.