Analysts Vishal Shah, Jerimiah Booream-Phelps, and Susie Min set a price target of $90 for SolarCity, well above its Jan. 14 closing price of $65.55. The analysts said the company is "one of the pioneers in the residential solar leasing market," and that they expect SolarCity's install base to "roughly double" by the end of 2014. Such growth, the analysts say, "could accelerate in the 2015/16 timeframe."
The say that in a bull case shares of SolarCity could reach about $150 by 2020.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SOLARCITY CORP as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SOLARCITY CORP (SCTY) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been very high debt management risk by most measures."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.03 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, SCTY has a quick ratio of 0.59, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- SOLARCITY CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 216.1% in earnings (-$1.77 versus -$0.56).
- Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, SOLARCITY CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SOLARCITY CORP is rather high; currently it is at 65.47%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 6.90% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has improved to $100.01 million from having none in the same quarter last year. Since the company had no net operating cash flow for the prior period, we cannot calculate a percent change in order to compare its growth rate with that of its industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SCTY Ratings Report