Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."NuStar GP Holdings (NYSE: NSH) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.70%. NuStar GP Holdings, LLC owns general partner and limited partner interests in NuStar Energy L.P. that engages in the terminalling and storage of petroleum products, transportation of petroleum products and anhydrous ammonia, and petroleum refining and marketing. The company has a P/E ratio of 29.47. The average volume for NuStar GP Holdings has been 242,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. NuStar GP Holdings has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 2.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates NuStar GP Holdings as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, unimpressive growth in net income and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 46.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for NUSTAR GP HOLDINGS LLC is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. NSH has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NSH's net profit margin of 89.39% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- NSH's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.07 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that NSH's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.52, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $4.20 million or 55.65% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The share price of NUSTAR GP HOLDINGS LLC has not done very well: it is down 6.26% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- You can view the full NuStar GP Holdings Ratings Report.
- NKA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 50.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 49.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$15.40 million to -$7.84 million.
- The gross profit margin for NISKA GAS STORAGE PARTNERS is rather high; currently it is at 50.11%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -21.27% is in-line with the industry average.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.24 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.35, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$59.49 million or 334.01% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Niska Gas Storage Partners Ratings Report.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $56.02 million or 49.17% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.56%.
- The gross profit margin for DYNEX CAPITAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 88.51%. Regardless of DX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DX's net profit margin of -14.64% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The share price of DYNEX CAPITAL INC has not done very well: it is down 17.08% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 124.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $19.17 million to -$4.63 million.
- You can view the full Dynex Capital Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.