Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Fastenal Company ( FAST) as a "roof leaker" (crossing below the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Fastenal Company as such a stock due to the following factors:
- FAST has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $88.4 million.
- FAST has traded 120,260 shares today.
- FAST is trading at 999999.00 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- FAST crossed below its 200-day simple moving average.
'Roof Leaker' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakdown can lead to potentially massive losses. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock may then be subject to emotional selling from investors that can continue to drive the stock lower. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with weakness and volume it can indicate the start of a new, potentially dangerous, trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in FAST with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for FAST NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on FAST: Fastenal Company, together with its subsidiaries, operates as a wholesaler and retailer of industrial and construction supplies in the United States, Canada, and internationally. The company offers fasteners and other industrial and construction supplies under the Fastenal name. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.1%. FAST has a PE ratio of 31.6. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Fastenal Company a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Fastenal Company has been 1.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Fastenal has a market cap of $14.2 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and materials & construction industry. The stock has a beta of 0.97 and a short float of 10.7% with 12.84 days to cover. Shares are down 0.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Fastenal Company as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- FAST's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- FAST has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, FAST has a quick ratio of 2.10, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Trading Companies & Distributors industry and the overall market, FASTENAL CO's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- FASTENAL CO has improved earnings per share by 8.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, FASTENAL CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.42 versus $1.22 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.52 versus $1.42).
- The gross profit margin for FASTENAL CO is rather high; currently it is at 53.56%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 13.90% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Fastenal Company Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.