The expansion to the Davenport, Iowa factory is dedicated to supplying aluminum to car and truck producers. Alcoa's press release says automakers expect demand for aluminum for vehicles will nearly double by 2025. Many automakers debuted new vehicles made of aluminum, including Ford (F), which debuted a new F-150 truck made of the lightweight metal.
Alcoa is in the processing of adding more automotive capacity to its facility in Alcoa, Tenn. That project will complete sometime in the middle of 2015.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Alcoa as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ALCOA INC (AA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock performance, considering both the consistency and magnitude of the price movement over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- AA, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ALCOA INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALCOA INC swung to a loss, reporting -$2.15 versus $0.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.40 versus -$2.15).
- The gross profit margin for ALCOA INC is rather low; currently it is at 15.70%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -41.88% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1066.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $242.00 million to -$2,339.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AA Ratings Report