Shareholders of Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $22 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.28 bid, which annualizes to an additional 6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $22 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FITB shares would have to climb 3.3% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Fifth Third Bancorp , looking at the dividend history chart for FITB below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing FITB's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $22 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $22 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $22. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Fifth Third Bancorp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $21.32) to be 17%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FITB Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 802,264 contracts, with call volume at 1.45M, for a put:call ratio of 0.55 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
The Week Ahead: Housing, Fed Minutes and 13 Tell-Tale Earnings Reports to Watch
A shortened week still brings key economic numbers and earnings results.
What to Expect When Walmart and CVS Report Earnings This Week
Here are stocks to keep an eye on this week.
Consumers Remain Confident as Economists Fret Over Quality of U.S. Data
The University of Michigan's index of consumer sentiment rises to a reading of 95.5 in February from 91.2 the prior month, contrasting with a separate report earlier this week from the Census Bureau that showed retail sales fell in December by the most in nine years.
Oracle Shares End Higher After Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Dumps Stake
Oracle also announces buyback of $12 billion of common stock.
CBS Shares End Higher Despite Earnings Missing Analysts' Forecasts
Fourth-quarter and full-year earnings ring in below analysts' forecasts, though the company hits goal of 8 million online-streaming subscribers earlier than expected.