Update (4:26 p.m. EST): Updated with closing price, day high and low prices, price change and volume information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- RAIT Financial Trust (RAS) fell 4.56% to $8.38, down 40 cents from its previous close of $8.78, at the close of the trading day on Tuesday after the company announced that it would sell 10 million shares of common stock.
The stock had a volume of more than 15,898,608, well above its average volume of 818,743. It hit a high of $8.51 and a low of $8.32 for the day.
The Spot Secondary is priced at $8.52. Barclays and Deustche Bank will act as the joint book running managers for the offering, with Credit Suisse as lead manager of the offering.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Rait Financial as a "hold" with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate RAIT FINANCIAL TRUST (RAS) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- RAS's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 35.13% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 40.12% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- RAIT FINANCIAL TRUST has improved earnings per share by 35.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RAIT FINANCIAL TRUST reported poor results of -$3.92 versus -$1.36 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.61 versus -$3.92).
- The gross profit margin for RAIT FINANCIAL TRUST is rather low; currently it is at 20.78%. Regardless of RAS's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RAS's net profit margin of -16.59% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, RAIT FINANCIAL TRUST's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RAS Ratings Report