Shareholders of Eaton Vance Corp (EV - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.9% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EV shares would have to climb 8.7% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Eaton Vance Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for EV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing EV's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Eaton Vance Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $41.34) to be 24%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EV Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 714,025 contracts, with call volume at 1.43M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Backtracking Fed Puts an End to Market Celebration
After what happened to Microsoft stock on its superb report we now have to be a little concerned.
Stocks End Lower Friday Ahead of Busy Earnings Week
Stocks slumped at the close to end down Friday as as investors digested a series of quarterly earnings reports.
Pier 1 Shares Close Lower; Retailer Names New President, CFO
Shares of home-décor retailer Pier 1 closed lower on Friday. The company made two new senior executive appointments to help it stanch declining sales.
CrowdStrike Shares Surge on Strong First Earnings Report
The cybersecurity company, which the FBI used to assess the Russian hacking of the DNC, also offered investors stronger-than-expected growth projections.
Microsoft Hits Record High as Cloud Revenues Drive Q4 Earnings Beat
Microsoft shares traded at an all-time high Friday, lifting the world's most valuable company well past $1 trillion, after the tech giant posted stronger-than-expected fourth quarter earnings driven largely by its fast-expanding cloud computing business.