Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."CommonWealth REIT (NYSE: CWH) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.30%. CommonWealth REIT is a real estate investment trust launched and managed by Reit Management & Research LLC. The fund invests in the real estate markets of the United States. It seeks to invest in office buildings, industrial buildings, and leased industrial land. The company has a P/E ratio of 61.08. The average volume for CommonWealth REIT has been 879,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. CommonWealth REIT has a market cap of $2.7 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 2.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates CommonWealth REIT as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $52.96 million or 11.00% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, COMMONWEALTH REIT has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.55%.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CWH's share price has jumped by 45.08%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- CWH, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 7.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1327.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $17.62 million to -$216.32 million.
- The gross profit margin for COMMONWEALTH REIT is rather low; currently it is at 19.32%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -101.81% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- You can view the full CommonWealth REIT Ratings Report.
- 44.90% is the gross profit margin for FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of FTR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 2.98% trails the industry average.
- FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP's earnings per share declined by 42.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. However, the consensus estimates suggest that there will be an upward trend in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP's EPS of $0.14 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.14. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.23 versus $0.14).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 47.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $67.00 million to $35.40 million.
- You can view the full Frontier Communications Corp Class B Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $465.00 million or 32.17% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 0.96%.
- ENBRIDGE ENERGY PRTNRS -LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ENBRIDGE ENERGY PRTNRS -LP reported lower earnings of $1.25 versus $1.89 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 43.2% in earnings ($0.71 versus $1.25).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 80.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $215.20 million to $41.00 million.
- You can view the full Enbridge Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.