Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Capitol Federal Financial (Nasdaq: CFFN) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- CAPITOL FEDERAL FINL INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. We anticipate these figures will begin to experience more growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CAPITOL FEDERAL FINL INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.48 versus $0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.52 versus $0.48).
- The gross profit margin for CAPITOL FEDERAL FINL INC is rather high; currently it is at 64.20%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, CFFN's net profit margin of 20.60% significantly trails the industry average.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 102.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to not be hurting the bottom line, shown by stable earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Thrifts & Mortgage Finance industry and the overall market, CAPITOL FEDERAL FINL INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, CFFN has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.