Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 4 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."One Liberty Properties (NYSE: OLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. One Liberty Properties, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the acquisition, ownership, and management of commercial real estate properties in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.47. The average volume for One Liberty Properties has been 33,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. One Liberty Properties has a market cap of $317.9 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates One Liberty Properties as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- OLP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $6.46 million or 27.28% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.55%.
- The gross profit margin for ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC is rather high; currently it is at 51.88%. Regardless of OLP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OLP's net profit margin of 24.06% compares favorably to the industry average.
- ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. Stable Earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. During the past fiscal year, ONE LIBERTY PROPERTIES INC's EPS of $0.80 remained unchanged from the prior years' EPS of $0.80.
- You can view the full One Liberty Properties Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 30.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $18.46 million to $24.12 million.
- The gross profit margin for RESOURCE CAPITAL CORP is rather high; currently it is at 55.97%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RSO's net profit margin of 68.27% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- RSO, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 19.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, RSO has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full Resource Capital Corporation Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP is rather high; currently it is at 67.22%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 71.48% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 27.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $17.69 million to $22.48 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 171.05% to $29.18 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 171.05%, PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 273.60%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Pennant Park Investment Corporation Ratings Report.
- DOM's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 83.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- DOM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 65.35, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, DOMINION RES BLACK WARRIOR's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 110.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 61.76% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, DOM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 108.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.78 million to $1.62 million.
- You can view the full Dominion Resources Black Warrior Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.