Shares of Zynga gained 1.9% to $4.04 on Monday.
The social game developer is using popular Bitcoin service provider Bitpay for its test. The test lets gamers buy in-game currency in games such as FarmVille 2, CastleVilla, ChefVille, CoasterVille, Hidden Chronicles, Hidden Shadows and CityVille using the cryptocurrency. Zynga said in a post to online Bitcoin section of online community Reddit that its test is "in response to Bitcoin's rise in popularity around the world."
News of Zynga supporting the virtual currency helped push Bitcoin to a price of $1,016 per Bitcoin on Monday, according to marketplace Mt. Gox.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Zynga as a "sell" with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ZYNGA INC (ZNGA) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$4.86 million or 116.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, ZYNGA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 36.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for ZYNGA INC is currently very high, coming in at 87.65%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.03% is in-line with the industry average.
- ZNGA has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.77, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ZNGA Ratings Report