The bank believes eBay management put the company "on the right track to become a key player in omni-channel commerce in the long-run." There are near-term risks, however, and Morgan Stanley cites decelerating trends in omni-channel and offline initiatives as a cause for the downgrade. There is also "limited potential for margin expansion and earnings growth," according to the report.
Morgan Stanley admits there is a chance eBay's revenue will accelerate more than anticipated. For now, however, the bank believes eBay's growth is in line with eCommerce as a whole.
TheStreet Ratings team rates eBay as a "buy" with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate EBAY INC (EBAY) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- EBAY's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 9.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Although EBAY's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.20 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. To add to this, EBAY has a quick ratio of 1.67, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,334.00 million or 15.59% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, EBAY INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 23.71%.
- EBAY INC has improved earnings per share by 17.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EBAY INC reported lower earnings of $1.99 versus $2.46 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.70 versus $1.99).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EBAY Ratings Report