Delta reported passenger revenue-per-available-seat-mile increased by 10% in December compared to the same period a year ago. The surprising revenue increase helped raise the stock prices of Jetblue along with its rivals.
American Airlines (AAL) added 5% to $26.64, United Continental (UAL) rose 6.1% to $40.03, and Southwest Airlines (LUV) increased by 2.9% to $19.44 based on Delta's news.
JBLU data by YCharts
TheStreet Ratings team rates JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP (JBLU) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.39 versus $0.28 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.50 versus $0.39).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Airlines industry average. The net income increased by 57.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $45.00 million to $71.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 15.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 219.60% to $163.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, JETBLUE AIRWAYS CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 124.76%.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 50.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 49.73% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JBLU Ratings Report