Shareholders of Rayonier (RYN - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 4.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the February covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the 60 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 10.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but RYN shares would have to advance 4.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 6.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Rayonier Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for RYN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 4.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing RYN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Rayonier Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $42.95) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the RYN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 767,305 contracts, with call volume at 1.53M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Tesla Reportedly to Raise Prices on Its Cars Sold in China Amid Trade War
Tesla will increase the prices of its cars sold in China starting Friday, a report says.
Dow Futures, Trade Talks, Disney, Target and Tesla - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures jump on Monday after Donald Trump says China contacted U.S. officials on Sunday and said 'let's get back to the table'; durable goods orders for July will be released Monday; Walt Disney and Target to create 'shop-in-shop' Disney stores at 25 Target locations.
White House Claims Trump Regrets Not Raising China Tariffs Higher
Sunday evening, U.S. stock futures were lower following comments over the weekend on trade with China.