Shareholders of Casey's General Stores (CASY - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $72.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.50 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $72.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CASY shares would have to climb 6.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Casey's General Stores, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CASY below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing CASY's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $72.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $72.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $72.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Casey's General Stores, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $68.16) to be 23%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CASY Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 767,305 contracts, with call volume at 1.53M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
This Sedate Market Is an Ink Blot Test for Investors
The bulls will say this is healthy consolidation that will set up another leg higher, while the bears will say this is an indication of indecision and is a prelude to a rollover.
Dow Futures Flat, But Near Record; Investors Eye Retail Sales, Q2 Bank Earnings
U.S. equity futures were little-changed in early Tuesday trading as investors maintained their cautious stance on global stocks heading into the second quarter earnings season and keyed on June retail sales data for further clues on the direction of Federal Reserve interest rates.
Cboe: A Test Case in Discovering the Cost of Over-Enthusiasm
Let's use the history of Cboe Global Markets Inc. as an example of how to recognize overvaluation and trade out before major pullbacks, potentially side-stepping declines.