How To YieldBoost EVER To 7.2% Using Options

Shareholders of EverBank Financial Corp ( EVER) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the June covered call at the $20 strike and collect the premium based on the 55 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $20 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EVER shares would have to climb 10.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of EverBank Financial Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for EVER below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.7% annualized dividend yield.

EVER+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing EVER's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $20 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June covered call at the $20 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $20. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for EverBank Financial Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.98) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EVER Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 493,464 contracts, with call volume at 1.07M, for a put:call ratio of 0.46 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

After the Wells Fargo Debacle, Wondering Which Bank to Trust?

Why EverBank (EVER) Stock Is Climbing Today

EverBank Financial (EVER) Moving On Heavy Pre-Market Trading

Insider Trading Alert - MAR, EVER And VVUS Traded By Insiders

Forget Apple and McDonald's; Look at Small Banks