For the second year in a row, when the clock strikes Twelve on New Year’s Eve, the majority of Americans will find themselves ringing in the New Year at home instead of out on the town, according to a new survey by Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS). Seventy-nine percent of women and 76 percent of men, up from 70 percent last year, will opt for a more low-key celebration. To make the most of a festive night at home, Hasbro recommends some friendly game night competition to get the good times rolling on December 31. And while most (56 percent) seem to want to keep the competition light and friendly, 81 percent of 18 to 24 year-olds admit to “bending the rules” in order to win when playing games. It turns out it’s not all fun and games for everyone, particularly in the Midwest and Northeast, the two regions that admit to “bending the rules” the most. To ensure a New Year’s party (or any holiday party!) is a memorable one, Hasbro worked with entertaining expert Julie Edelman, “The Accidental Housewife,” to come up with some helpful advice for New Year’s revelers. “The most important part of New Year’s Eve is appreciating the people you’re with and celebrating the holidays with friends and loved ones in a lighthearted and special way,” said Edelman. “It’s not about being somewhere fancy but rather it’s about the quality time shared as we say goodbye to one year and welcome in the next. A night at home spent laughing and having fun over games is the perfect way to connect and do just that.” Edelman’s tips for a memorable and seamless game night include:
- SERVE FUN FINGER FOODS that are easy to eat with one-hand so you can put on an oversized green foam finger and play the hilarious new POINTING FINGERS game with your family & friends.
- PARTY & PLAY AT ONCE! Get the party started instantly with CATCH PHRASE, the pass-it, shout-it, guess-it game you can hold in one hand while keeping your drink/food in the other!!
- MAKE NEW FRIENDS. With the new ‘ask a friend’ feature in the TRIVIAL PURSUIT PARTY game, you can ask others to help out with your questions. It’s a great way to break the ice with new friends at the party!
- CREATE A MENU OF FUN YUMS. Come up with fun, games-themed names for the food and drinks at the party, like a “Scattergories Sandwich Sampler” or a “Taboo Twist.”
- ADD IN SOME HOLIDAY-THEMED RULES. For every round won, a team can share favorite memories from 2013, or for every TABOO buzz, players can share a New Year’s resolution they’ll be making.
- SNAP ‘N SHARE THE FUN. Set up some silly hats or homemade trophies for the victors and be sure guests capture photos of themselves celebrating their wins. Share the pictures on social channels or send them around to your guests the day after the party to relive the fun of New Year’s.
About HasbroHasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company dedicated to fulfilling the fundamental need for play for children and families through the creative expression of the Company’s world class brand portfolio, including TRANSFORMERS, MONOPOLY, PLAY-DOH, MY LITTLE PONY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF and LITTLEST PET SHOP. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, digital gaming and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its global customers with innovative play and entertainment experiences, in a variety of forms and formats, anytime and anywhere. The Company's Hasbro Studios develops and produces television programming for more than 170 markets around the world, and for the U.S. on Hub Network, part of a multi-platform joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK). Through the company's deep commitment to corporate social responsibility, including philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to build a safe and sustainable world for future generations and to positively impact the lives of millions of children and families every year. It has been recognized for its efforts by being named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" and is ranked as one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine's "100 Best Corporate Citizens." Learn more at www.hasbro.com. Methodological Notes The Hasbro New Year’s Eve Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research ( www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18+, between November 26th and December 2nd, 2013, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population 18+. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample.