Shareholders of Rockwood Holdings Inc (ROC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the August 2014 covered call at the $75 strike and collect the premium based on the $4.30 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $75 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ROC shares would have to advance 4.8% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Rockwood Holdings Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for ROC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing ROC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $75 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August 2014 covered call at the $75 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $75. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Rockwood Holdings Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $71.58) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ROC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Friday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 356,267 contracts, with call volume at 762,069, for a put:call ratio of 0.47 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
Ego and Trading: Do You Want to Be Right or Do You Want to Make Money?
When it comes to investing and trading there really is only one thing that matters - return on capital. Everything else is secondary.
As the Game Streaming Wars Begin,Twitch Is Looking Like Amazon's Secret Weapon
With Google and Microsoft planning competing game streaming services, the market for games is about to get even more interesting. That's exactly why Amazon's Twitch deserves more of your attention.
Shaq Tells TheStreet About the Moment He Fell in Love With Papa John's
Shaq tells TheStreet that 'everyone loves pizza and pizza loves everyone' after he joins the board of Papa John's. Watch the interview.