Interesting August 2014 Stock Options for HPQ

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Hewlett-Packard Co (HPQ). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the August 2014 expiration for HPQ.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $26 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $2.13. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 8.2% return against the $26 commitment, or a 12.7% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost HPQ Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to HPQ's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Hewlett-Packard Co sees its shares decline 6.8% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $23.87 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $2.13 from $26), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 12.7% annualized rate of return.

Worth considering, is that the annualized 12.7% figure actually exceeds the 2.1% annualized dividend paid by Hewlett-Packard Co by 10.6%, based on the current share price of $27.90. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to fall 6.81% to reach the $26 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Hewlett-Packard Co, looking at the dividend history chart for HPQ below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.1% annualized dividend yield.

HPQ+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the August 2014 expiration, for shareholders of Hewlett-Packard Co ( HPQ) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $30 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.98 bid, annualizes to an additional 11% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 13.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $30 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HPQ shares would have to advance 7.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost HPQ Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Hewlett-Packard Co, highlighting in green where the $26 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $30 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August 2014 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Hewlett-Packard Co (considering the last 251 trading day HPQ historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $27.90) to be 38%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 665,007 contracts, with call volume at 1.30M, for a put:call ratio of 0.51 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Stocks Rise, Nasdaq Jumps as Facebook Rallies

Stocks Rise, Nasdaq Jumps as Facebook Rallies

6 Key Numbers to Look for When Amazon Reports First-Quarter Earnings

6 Key Numbers to Look for When Amazon Reports First-Quarter Earnings

Earnings, Earnings and More Earnings - Your Midweek Update From Facebook to Ford

Earnings, Earnings and More Earnings - Your Midweek Update From Facebook to Ford

Facebook Just Announced a Major Share Buyback Program

Facebook Just Announced a Major Share Buyback Program

Veteran Foreign Affairs Expert Ian Bremmer Reveals How to Price Political Risk

Veteran Foreign Affairs Expert Ian Bremmer Reveals How to Price Political Risk