How To YieldBoost LYB From 3.1% To 7.4% Using Options

Shareholders of LyondellBasell Industries NV ( LYB) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $87.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.60 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 7.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $87.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LYB shares would have to advance 11.4% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Analysts Like »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of LyondellBasell Industries NV, looking at the dividend history chart for LYB below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.1% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing LYB's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $87.50 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $87.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $87.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for LyondellBasell Industries NV (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $78.15) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the LYB Stock Options page of

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 576,812 contracts, with call volume at 1.15M, for a put:call ratio of 0.50 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

With Hurricane Harvey, We Are in the Crosshairs of Volatility: Market Recon

10 Sectors That Will Profit Big-Time From Oil's Crash