How To YieldBoost Greif From 3.3% To 9.5% Using Options

Shareholders of Greif (GEF) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the July 2014 covered call at the $55 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.85 bid, which annualizes to an additional 6.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $55 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GEF shares would have to advance 7.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Greif Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for GEF below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.3% annualized dividend yield.

GEF+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing GEF's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $55 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July 2014 covered call at the $55 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $55. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Greif Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $51.01) to be 24%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the GEF Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Burger King Issues Apology After Massive World Cup Promotional Fail

Burger King Issues Apology After Massive World Cup Promotional Fail

The Winners and Losers in Thursday's Market

The Winners and Losers in Thursday's Market

Stocks Tumble as Dow Heads for Eighth Straight Drop

Stocks Tumble as Dow Heads for Eighth Straight Drop

Starbucks Stock Is Still Plunging

Starbucks Stock Is Still Plunging

Tesla Received Tip That Former Employee Was Going to 'Shoot the Place Up'

Tesla Received Tip That Former Employee Was Going to 'Shoot the Place Up'