Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Thermo Fisher Scientific ( TMO) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Thermo Fisher Scientific as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TMO has 18x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.31 mentions/day.
- TMO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $152.1 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TMO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TMO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TMO: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. provides analytical instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, software, and services for research, manufacture, analysis, discovery, and diagnostics. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.6%. TMO has a PE ratio of 28.2. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Thermo Fisher Scientific a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Thermo Fisher Scientific has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Thermo Fisher Scientific has a market cap of $36.9 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.07 and a short float of 11.5% with 22.23 days to cover. Shares are up 60.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Thermo Fisher Scientific as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 53.84% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TMO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.44 versus $2.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.37 versus $3.44).
- 45.86% is the gross profit margin for THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.95% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Thermo Fisher Scientific Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.