YieldBoost Molson Coors Brewing To 3.9% Using Options

Shareholders of Molson Coors Brewing Co. (TAP) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $70 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.65 bid, which annualizes to an additional 1.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 3.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $70 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but TAP shares would have to climb 30.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 33.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Molson Coors Brewing Co., looking at the dividend history chart for TAP below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.4% annualized dividend yield.

TAP+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing TAP's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $70 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $70 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $70. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Molson Coors Brewing Co. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $53.50) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the TAP Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Tuesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 807,443 contracts, with call volume at 807,443, for a put:call ratio of 0.70 so far for the day, which is above normal compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65. In other words, if we look at the number of call buyers and then use the long-term median to project the number of put buyers we'd expect to see, we're actually seeing more put buyers than expected out there in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Jim Cramer on Earnings: All Stories Aren't Equal

Jim Cramer on Earnings: All Stories Aren't Equal

Stocks Seek Direction Amid a Rise in Bond Yields, Strong Earnings

Stocks Seek Direction Amid a Rise in Bond Yields, Strong Earnings

Facebook First-Quarter Earnings: 3 Key Things To Watch For

Facebook First-Quarter Earnings: 3 Key Things To Watch For

Twitter Tops Wall Street's Estimates - Here Are the Key Numbers You Need to Know

Twitter Tops Wall Street's Estimates - Here Are the Key Numbers You Need to Know

Street Stats: 3 Numbers That Will Make Any Stock Market Bear Instantly Bullish

Street Stats: 3 Numbers That Will Make Any Stock Market Bear Instantly Bullish