NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Herbalife (HLF) spiked 9.4% to close at $74.83 at the end of trading on Monday after the company said a re-audit had found no material changes to its financial results from the past three years.
Shares of Herbalife were temporarily halted prior to the announcement, and rose as much as 13% to $74.72 following the news.
PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) performed the audit on the company's records for fiscal years 2010, 2011, and 2012 as well as the first three quarters of fiscal 2013.
Herbalife "filed an amended 10-K/A for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012," the press release notes. The company also filed "amended 10-Q/As for each of these quarters of 2013 following the completion of SAS 100 reviews of those periods by PwC." With those filings, the company is now up to date on all SEC periodic filings.
News of the re-audit comes at the same time as comments about the company from activist investor Carl Icahn. Icahn told CNBC that he believes the nutritional supplement company is currently undervalued.
TheStreet Ratings team rates HERBALIFE LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate HERBALIFE LTD (HLF) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 34.69% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 50.17% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, HLF should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- HERBALIFE LTD has improved earnings per share by 34.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, HERBALIFE LTD increased its bottom line by earning $4.00 versus $3.32 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.25 versus $4.00).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Personal Products industry average. The net income increased by 26.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $111.87 million to $141.95 million.
- The gross profit margin for HERBALIFE LTD is rather high; currently it is at 51.32%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 11.69% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: HLF Ratings Report