The holiday season is here… and with the holidays comes decorating! PECO offers helpful information to get in the holiday spirit while staying safe. The following tips and suggestions will help ensure a safe holiday season: Decorative Lighting:
- Only decorate with lights that have a U/L testing agency label. Check wires, plugs and sockets for defects. Remember: If in doubt, throw them out.
- Do not overload outlets and extension cords.
- Don’t run electric cords under carpet, seat cushions or anywhere they may be crushed or broken.
- Keep electric cords and extension cords out of the reach of children.
- Turn off all decorative lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
- Be sure decorative lights used outside are approved for outdoor use.
- Outdoor lights should be hung with insulated staples or hooks rather than nails or tacks.
- When decorating outdoors, be aware of all power lines. Don’t work near overhead power lines or anywhere there is a possibility of contacting an overhead power line, either directly or indirectly with a ladder or other piece of equipment. Do not string lights on outdoor trees that are growing into or near power lines – entire trees may become energized if lights come in contact with a power line.