How To YieldBoost MSA To 9.7% Using Options

Shareholders of Mine Safety Appliances Co ( MSA) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2014 covered call at the $50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.75 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MSA shares would have to advance 5.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Mine Safety Appliances Co, looking at the dividend history chart for MSA below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.6% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing MSA's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $50 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2014 covered call at the $50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Mine Safety Appliances Co (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $46.92) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MSA Stock Options page of

If you liked this article you might like

Firefighter Safety Gear Replacement to be Boom for MSA Safety

Strong On High Relative Volume: MSA Safety (MSA)

European Stocks Recoil From Further Drops in Asian Stocks

Trade-Ideas: MSA Safety Incorporated (MSA) Is Today's Strong On High Relative Volume Stock

Insider Trading Alert - DATA, ADSK And MSA Traded By Insiders