Shareholders of CEC Entertainment, Inc. (CEC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the 95 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CEC shares would have to advance 6.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of CEC Entertainment, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CEC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing CEC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for CEC Entertainment, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $42.60) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CEC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 592,862 contracts, with call volume at 1.04M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Occidental Petroleum Gains After Icahn Loses Court Battle, Buffett Reveals Stake
Occidental Petroleum shares traded higher Friday after Carl Icahn lost a court battle to gain access to records linked to the group's $38 billion takeover of Anadarko Petroleum, a deal the billionaire activist investor has consistently challenged.
Say That You Remember, the Market Was Dancing in September
During early September, bad news was rushing in, but the small caps were leading, many stocks were ripe for picking, the McClellan Summation Index was turning upward, and more stocks were making new highs.
Dow Futures Suggest Fresh Record Highs as Trade Optimism Sweeps Global Stocks
Wall Street looks poised to test another series of fresh record highs Friday as global investors react to bullish comments on U.S.-China trade talks from a key White House adviser and continue to push equities higher in major markets around the world.
JD.Com Shares Spike After Online Sales Surge Drives Q3 Earnings Beat
JD.com shares traded sharply higher Friday after the China-based e-commerce giant and key rival to Alibaba Group posted stronger-than-expected third quarter earnings as product sales from its online platform neared $17 billion.