Shareholders of Sierra Bancorp (BSRR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the March 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 60 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BSRR shares would have to advance 6.7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 10.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Sierra Bancorp, looking at the dividend history chart for BSRR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BSRR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the March 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Sierra Bancorp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $16.40) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BSRR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 452,328 contracts, with call volume at 944,668, for a put:call ratio of 0.48 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
Dow Futures Higher, Yield Curve Inversion Narrows, as Stocks Mount Comeback
Global stocks traded higher Tuesday, with investors taking cues from fixed income markets, as concerns over the pace of growth in the world's largest economy, as well as political and trade uncertainty in Europe and Asia, continue to dampen sentiment.
Market Changes Mind About Growth Concerns and Yield Curve Worries
Growth fears have eased, the inverted yield curve issue is set aside, China trade will be an issue again soon and market players are looking to put cash to work.
Uber Steers $3.1 Billion Careem Deal as Implied Value Gains Ahead of Planned IPO
Uber Technologies snapped-up middle east ride-sharing rival Careem Tuesday in a $3.1 billion deal ahead of its stock market listing that could value the world's most expensive start-up at more than $120 billion.
Apple, Samsung, McDonald's, Uber and Careem - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures rise and global stocks edge cautiously higher as investors take their cues from fixed income markets; Apple unveils a new lineup of services in a push to double down on its most profitable business segment; Samsung issues a profit warning; Uber buys Middle East rival Careem.