YieldBoost DIN From 3.7% To 12.5% Using Options

Shareholders of DineEquity Inc (DIN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the June 2014 covered call at the $85 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.80 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.8% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DIN shares would have to climb 4.1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.8% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of DineEquity Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for DIN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.7% annualized dividend yield.

DIN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing DIN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $85 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June 2014 covered call at the $85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for DineEquity Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $81.50) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DIN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 452,328 contracts, with call volume at 944,668, for a put:call ratio of 0.48 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Alphabet/Google First-Quarter Earnings Live Blog

Alphabet/Google First-Quarter Earnings Live Blog

Stocks Lose Steam as Yields Hover Near 3% Threshold

Stocks Lose Steam as Yields Hover Near 3% Threshold

3 Hot Reads From TheStreet's Top Premium Columnists

3 Hot Reads From TheStreet's Top Premium Columnists

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake

How Elon Musk Controls Tesla With Only a Minority Ownership Stake

Tesla Is Taking Apple's Ecosystem Model Up a Notch

Tesla Is Taking Apple's Ecosystem Model Up a Notch