Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Randgold Resources ( GOLD) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Randgold Resources as such a stock due to the following factors:
- GOLD has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $53.6 million.
- GOLD traded 212,380 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:28 AM, representing 26.5% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GOLD with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GOLD NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GOLD: Randgold Resources Limited engages in the exploration and development of gold deposits in Sub-Saharan Africa. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.7%. GOLD has a PE ratio of 17.9. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Randgold Resources a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Randgold Resources has been 893,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Randgold has a market cap of $6.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 34% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Randgold Resources as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- GOLD's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.00 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.46, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 49.37% is the gross profit margin for RANDGOLD RESOURCES LTD which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GOLD's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GOLD's net profit margin of 24.47% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has decreased by 21.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $103.52 million to $81.34 million.
- Looking at the price performance of GOLD's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 36.11%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Although its share price is down sharply from a year ago, do not assume that it can now be tagged as cheap and attractive. The reality is that, based on its current price in relation to its earnings, GOLD is still more expensive than most of the other companies in its industry.
- You can view the full Randgold Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.