Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) and BAI Canada are working together on a two-station installation of a shared Wi-Fi network using Motorola’s proven wireless local area network (WLAN) technology in Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) underground subway stations. The initial two-station network includes the St. George and Bloor & Yonge stations and will cover all public areas including platforms, mezzanines, walkways and stairwells. The deployment has the capability to support cellular connectivity, and the network will eventually cover TTC’s 65 current and planned underground subway stations, serving more than 1.7 million riders daily. Motorola’s ruggedized outdoor wireless access points and controller running Wireless Next Generation (WiNG) technology were selected by BAI Canada based on Motorola’s leadership position in the transportation vertical, proven radio performance in harsh environments and global reach with local expertise. The Motorola WLAN solution for transit was chosen in part for its previous successful subway deployments around the world as well as the company’s recognized expertise providing reliable, high-speed wireless networks in underground and other demanding, rugged environments. KEY FACTS
- Motorola’s WLAN platform will allow transit riders access to real-time alerts, arrival and departure information, and transit updates from their personal wireless devices.
- The networks will also offer high-speed connectivity for the internet, social media, email and many web-based applications.
- BAI Canada is building the robust Wi-Fi and cellular distributed antenna system (DAS) within TTC’s two busiest stations, creating its TCONNECT Wi-Fi brand with high-speed internet connectivity.
- The fiber-optic lines installed for the two-station pilot alone equal three times the height of the 1,815-foot CN Tower in Toronto.
- The number of TTC riders that enter the busy Bloor & Yonge station each day could fill the 50,000-seat Rogers Center multi-purpose stadium in Toronto seven times over.
SUPPORTING RESOURCESWebsite: WLAN solutions Facebook: Motorola Solutions Twitter: @MotWireless Blog: Wireless Insights About Motorola Solutions Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed. About BAI Canada BAI Canada is part of a group of global experts that design, build, operate, maintain and own underground communication networks. BAI Canada is a subsidiary of Canadian-owned BAI Group, a global leader in wireless communications for underground transit systems. BAI Group is building and operating the wireless network in the New York subway. It has also been involved in deploying and maintaining communication networks for some of the most complex subway systems around the world, including Hong Kong’s MTR Corporation. BAI Canada is building a robust, high quality network in Toronto for the TTC and its riders. BAI Canada will own and operate the subway wireless communications network and function as a single point of contact for all Toronto licensed Wireless Service Providers to extend their cellular services to the TTC’s more than 1.7 million daily riders. MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.