MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a leading global money transfer and payment services company, today announced the distribution of six grants through the MoneyGram Foundation. The foundation, launched in 2012, distributed its inaugural round of grants earlier this year for a total of 14 grants awarded to programs in 10 countries in 2013. The MoneyGram Foundation selected the following six organizations for its second round of grants in 2013:
- One Laptop Per Child, to provide rugged, low-cost XO laptops to children in South Africa, launching the organization’s first project in the country. One Laptop Per Child has distributed more than 2.4 million laptops in 42 countries.
- TECHO, to provide two years of tutoring and volunteer transportation for families displaced by devastating earthquakes in Haiti and El Salvador.
- Mi Escuelita Preschools, to support after-school programs for non-English speaking preschoolers in Dallas, TX. Each year, 95% of children graduating from Mi Escuelita transition directly to English-speaking classrooms.
- Urban Ventures, to refurbish and provide supplies for an 8th grade Learning Lab classroom. The Learning Lab provides year-round curriculum enhancement for at-risk youth in Minneapolis, MN.
- The Arab American Association of New York, to support a literacy program that helps non-English speaking children catch up and excel in New York City schools.
- Books for Asia, to supply 25,000 new books to 500 schools in the Philippines which will go directly to the areas affected by Typhoon Haiyan.
“The MoneyGram Foundation believes that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual empowerment,” said Julia Taylor, president of the MoneyGram Foundation and senior director of corporate strategy at MoneyGram. “The Foundation funds essential projects such as school and technology supplies, teacher and tutor salaries, and even the physical buildings needed for educational instruction. We are proud to support organizations that are providing life-changing educational access to thousands of children around the world.”MoneyGram has made an ongoing commitment to fund global education initiatives by establishing the MoneyGram Foundation. Recognizing the enormous need for basic education around the world, the foundation plans to expand its support in 2014 by implementing a fundraising program through MoneyGram’s network of agents and vendors. In addition, MoneyGram is launching an employee matching program and will match all employee donations to the foundation 100%. “We believe that education is the ultimate means for transforming lives, and I am proud that MoneyGram Foundation’s 2013 grants will impact thousands of children, their families and communities across 10 countries,” said Pamela H. Patsley, chairman and chief executive officer, MoneyGram. “I am also excited to announce our new employee giving program in which MoneyGram will match all employee donations to the foundation. MoneyGram has a long history of philanthropic giving, and this new program demonstrates our commitment to improving children’s lives around the world.” To learn more about the MoneyGram Foundation and all the projects it supports, please visit moneygramfoundation.org. About MoneyGram International MoneyGram International, a leading money transfer company, enables consumers who are not fully served by traditional financial institutions to meet their financial needs. MoneyGram offers money transfer services worldwide through a global network of 334,000 agent locations -- including retailers, international post offices and financial institutions -- in nearly 200 countries and territories. MoneyGram also offers bill payment services in the United States and Canada. MoneyGram is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MGI. To learn more about money transfer or bill payment at an agent location or online, please visit moneygram.com or connect with us on Facebook. About MoneyGram Foundation MoneyGram, a leading global money transfer and payment services company, established the MoneyGram Foundation in 2012 to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources. Its mission is firmly rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment. The MoneyGram Foundation is focused on inspiring minds and improving lives and grants funds to deserving organizations with this mission in mind. To learn more, please visit moneygramfoundation.org or connect with us on Facebook.