Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Trina Solar ( TSL) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Trina Solar as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TSL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $67.4 million.
- TSL has traded 9.9 million shares today.
- TSL is up 3.6% today.
- TSL was down 8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TSL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TSL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on TSL: Trina Solar Limited, an integrated solar-power products manufacturer, engages in the design, development, manufacture, and sale of photovoltaic (PV) modules worldwide. The company provides mono- and multi-crystalline silicon ingots, wafers, cells, and related products. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Trina Solar a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Trina Solar has been 5.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Trina Solar has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. Shares are up 189.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Trina Solar as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and poor profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.37 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, TSL has a quick ratio of 0.70, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for TRINA SOLAR LTD is rather low; currently it is at 15.21%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TSL's net profit margin of 1.80% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, TRINA SOLAR LTD's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- TRINA SOLAR LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TRINA SOLAR LTD reported poor results of -$3.76 versus -$0.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.17 versus -$3.76).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 117.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$57.46 million to $9.90 million.
- You can view the full Trina Solar Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.