DETROIT, Dec. 10, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Global businesses of all sizes face pervasive technology failures, with more than half registering a significant technology failure within the past year and 81 percent indicating they had the same fiasco occur multiple times, a Compuware Corporation (Nasdaq:CPWR) survey found. The major survey conducted on behalf of the technology performance company measured the frequency and severity of technology failures and the financial impact those failures have on the business.
- Forty-eight percent said they experience tech-performance issues daily.
- Three of four reported that the frequency of failures is increasing or staying the same.
- Fifty-one percent have recorded a major tech failure within the past 4-12 months.
- Four of five (81%) indicated the same major tech failure has occurred multiple times.
- Only one-third regularly collects data and quantifies the impact of failures.
"Employing a performance-management discipline where performance data gets collected regularly, measured and analyzed, is a good place to start. You need to be able to identify, measure, and understand performance issues before you can truly fix them," added Bharath Gowda, Compuware's director of Technology Performance Services.The survey identified three primary reasons for the general lack of performance measurement and impact analysis:
1) Failure to grasp the root cause of performance issues and, consequently, a reduced ability to resolve them conclusively.
2) Failure to grasp the severity of the business impact of performance issues, leading often to an ineffective response through improper resource allocation.
3) Lack of alignment and inconsistent perceptions of severity and the time needed to resolve an IT issue, triggering friction between IT and the business.The survey also found that many IT performance issues are "fixed" with short-term patches. Most resolution attempts fall into these reactive categories:
- Purchasing or upgrading software/hardware
- Increasing IT training
- Boosting IT staffing
- Hiring an IT consulting firm
CONTACT: Press Contacts Compuware Eric Kushner email@example.com 313.227.8060