Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials laggard. The sector as a whole was unchanged today. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum fell $1.65 (-1.9%) to $85.55 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 6,015,492 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,747,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $85.42-$88.81 after having opened the day at $87.70 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $87.20. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: Genie Energy Ltd Class B ( GNE), down 22.9%, New Concept Energy ( GBR), down 16.1%, Oil-Dri Corporation of America ( ODC), down 13.8% and Metabolix ( MBLX), down 11.0%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.