While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Solar Capital (NASDAQ: SLRC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. Solar Capital Ltd. is a business development company specializing in investments in leveraged middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.91. The average volume for Solar Capital has been 220,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Solar Capital has a market cap of $1.0 billion and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 5.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Solar Capital as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR CAPITAL LTD is rather high; currently it is at 66.03%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 24.58% is above that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 65.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $30.24 million to $10.57 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Solar Capital Ratings Report.
- LGCY's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 85.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 85.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$23.57 million to -$3.42 million.
- The gross profit margin for LEGACY RESERVES LP is rather high; currently it is at 53.74%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -3.23% trails the industry average.
- LEGACY RESERVES LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LEGACY RESERVES LP reported lower earnings of $1.43 versus $1.71 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 62.2% in earnings ($0.54 versus $1.43).
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.43 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. To add to this, LGCY has a quick ratio of 0.64, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Legacy Reserves Ratings Report.
- BPT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, BPT has a quick ratio of 2.34, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, BP PRUDHOE BAY ROYALTY TRUST's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for BP PRUDHOE BAY ROYALTY TRUST is currently very high, coming in at 100.00%. BPT has managed to maintain the strong profit margin since the same quarter of last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BPT's net profit margin of 99.08% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 7.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $49.49 million to $45.86 million.
- BP PRUDHOE BAY ROYALTY TRUST's earnings per share declined by 7.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BP PRUDHOE BAY ROYALTY TRUST reported lower earnings of $9.29 versus $9.40 in the prior year.
- You can view the full BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.