Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Norfolk Southern Corporation ( NSC) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Norfolk Southern Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NSC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $125.3 million.
- NSC has traded 2.4 million shares today.
- NSC is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NSC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NSC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NSC: Norfolk Southern Corporation engages in the rail transportation of raw materials, intermediate products, and finished goods in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.4%. NSC has a PE ratio of 15.4. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Norfolk Southern Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Norfolk Southern Corporation has been 1.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Norfolk Southern has a market cap of $27.1 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 1.25 and a short float of 1.8% with 3.33 days to cover. Shares are up 41% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Norfolk Southern Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels, increase in net income and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NSC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 48.74% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, NSC should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Road & Rail industry average. The net income increased by 19.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $402.00 million to $482.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $898.00 million or 10.45% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 4.90%.
- You can view the full Norfolk Southern Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.