For many of the country’s college football fans, hashtags and handles aren’t just for socializing, they’re for showing some love to their favorite teams. One-third of college football fans use social media while watching their favorite team’s game, according to the Discover Fan Loyalty Poll. Of those, 50 percent use it to cheer on their team, and 7 percent to comment on the opposing team. A small number, just 2 percent, criticize their own team on social media. Thirty-one percent do all three when they log on. Millennials are most likely to take to social media while watching their team play, as 56 percent log on during the game, but other age groups don’t lag far behind:
- 40-49, 40 percent
- 30-39, 38 percent
- 50-64, 26 percent
- 65 or older, 17 percent
- More women, 66 percent, use social media to cheer on their team, compared to 36 percent of men;
- Fewer women, 18 percent, log into social media in order to criticize their team, cheer on their team, or comment on the opposing team, compared to 43 percent of men who do all three;
- Fewer women, 32 percent, use social media to taunt their friends, while 38 percent of men dish it out online.
- Alabama, 43 percent
- Florida State, 14 percent
- Ohio State, 14 percent
- Missouri, 3 percent
- Oklahoma State, 3 percent
- Stanford, 3 percent
About DiscoverDiscover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers home loans, private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit and money market accounts through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. For more information, visit www.discover.com/company.