While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." AllianceBernstein Holding L.P (NYSE: AB) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. AllianceBernstein Holding L.P. provides investment management and related services in the United States and internationally. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.47. The average volume for AllianceBernstein Holding L.P has been 378,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. AllianceBernstein Holding L.P has a market cap of $2.1 billion and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are up 28.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates AllianceBernstein Holding L.P as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AB's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 8.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 307.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HOLDING LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HOLDING LP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.50 versus -$0.95 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.61 versus $0.50).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 83.01% to $40.48 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 83.01%, ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HOLDING LP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 273.40%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, ALLIANCEBERNSTEIN HOLDING LP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full AllianceBernstein Holding L.P Ratings Report.