NIKE, Inc. (NYSE: NKE), the world’s leading basketball brand, today unveiled the much-anticipated KOBE 9 Elite shoe at an event held at The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Los Angeles. The KOBE 9 Elite redefines the aesthetics and performance of a basketball shoe and was designed using Nike Flyknit according to NIKE’s “Nature Amplified” design ethos, an approach focused on designing for the body in motion and fueled by scientific data and athlete insights.
With the lead colorway dubbed ‘Masterpiece,’ the KOBE 9 Elite uses the intriguing visual patterns allowed by Nike Flyknit to create a piece of art on the upper, nine red embroidered details on the heel give a nod to Kobe’s Achilles sutures. The design on the outsole is based on the pressure mapping of Kobe’s own foot, creating a beautiful pattern while providing traction on court.DYNAMIC FIT Nike Flyknit and Flywire technologies are a one-two punch, leading to a dynamic fit for Kobe’s intricate footwork.
- The single layer Nike Flyknit creates a seamless engineered upper that is the ultimate in superior lightweight performance integrating areas of high breathability, stretch and support where it’s needed most.
- Nike Flywire technology is strong yet dynamic for lockdown through the midfoot; its cables loosen and tighten with the natural motion of the foot.
- The carbon fiber heel counter provides strong and lightweight lateral stability when moving from side to side, while the heel remains stable.
- Nike Lunarlon cushioning insert provides responsive cushioning that keeps the foot connected to the court.
- The pressure mapping designed, minimal rubber outsole delivers durable traction and mimics the natural contours of the foot.
The KOBE 9 Elite releases globally on February 8, 2014, at Nike.com and select global retail locations.ABOUT NIKE, Inc. NIKE, Inc. based near Beaverton, Ore., is the world's leading designer, marketer and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly-owned NIKE subsidiaries include Converse Inc., which designs, markets and distributes athletic lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories and Hurley International LLC, which designs, markets and distributes surf and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories. For more information, visit www.nikeinc.com and follow @Nike.