- Automatic enrollment with at least 6 percent elective deferral.
- Automatic escalation of at least 1 percent per year up to 10 percent.
- Sweep all existing employees into the plan at least one time at the default deferral rate.
- Stretch the match by using a formula that incents employees to defer at higher levels in order to get the full employer match.
- Use asset allocation choice as the qualified default investment alternative (QDIA).
“The conversation is shifting from one of retirement savings to retirement income, but we must move faster if we want to get individuals on track towards meaningful retirement savings,” notes Patterson. “We must start and end the retirement savings war with successful plan design, tools and education to achieve retirement readiness.”Patterson addresses the challenge of helping employers understand the value of making plan design changes in his latest post on The Principal Blog. For more news and insights from The Principal, connect with us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ThePrincipal About the Principal Financial GroupThe Principal Financial Group ® (The Principal ®) 2 is a global investment management leader offering retirement services, insurance solutions and asset management. The Principal offers businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement, asset management and insurance through its diverse family of financial services companies. Founded in 1879 and a member of the FORTUNE 500 ®, the Principal Financial Group has $466.2 billion in assets under management 3 and serves some 19.0 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG. For more information, visit www.principal.com. 1 EBRI Retirement Confidence Survey 2013, 2012 2 “The Principal Financial Group” and “The Principal” are registered service marks of Principal Financial Services, Inc., a member of the Principal Financial Group. 3 As of Sept. 30, 2013.