Shareholders of Vail Resorts Inc. (MTN - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the July 2014 covered call at the $82.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.40 bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 6.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $82.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MTN shares would have to climb 11.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Vail Resorts Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for MTN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MTN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $82.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July 2014 covered call at the $82.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $82.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Vail Resorts Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $74.09) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MTN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
The Impressive Rally in HubSpot Is Likely to Continue to the $250 Area
Let's check out the charts.
Dow Rises After Yield Curve Returns to Normal Though Recession Fears Remain
Stocks are mixed as bond yields invert - a possible recession warning - and then normalize ahead of Fed Chairman Jerome Powell's scheduled address Friday at the annual Jackson Hole Economic Symposium.
GameStop Spikes After Investor Michael Burry Goes Long on Video Game Retailer
Michael Burry is famous for being one of the first investors to short subprime mortgages before the financial crisis, and was depicted by Christian Bale in the movie "The Big Short."
Retrophin Tanks After Neurological Treatment Fails Late-Stage Study
The treatment, fosmetpantotenate, fails to meet its primary endpoint when compared to a control group being treated with a placebo, the company says.
Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne Resigns Following 'Deep State' Comments
The executive quits a week after claiming he played a key role in the investigation into Russia's alleged interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.