YieldBoost Fred's From 1.4% To 17.5% Using Options

Shareholders of Fred's Inc. (FRED) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the April 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.05 bid, which annualizes to an additional 16.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 17.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $17.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but FRED shares would have to climb 1.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks with Insider Buying »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Fred's Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for FRED below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.4% annualized dividend yield.

FRED+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing FRED's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $17.50 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the April 2014 covered call at the $17.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $17.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Fred's Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $17.24) to be 23%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the FRED Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 507,017 contracts, with call volume at 882,413, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

More from Stocks

Alphabet Earnings, Bond Yields Rise, Akorn Plunges - 5 Things You Must Know

Alphabet Earnings, Bond Yields Rise, Akorn Plunges - 5 Things You Must Know

Street Stats: The Mid-Term Elections May Be a Rollercoaster Ride for Investors

Street Stats: The Mid-Term Elections May Be a Rollercoaster Ride for Investors

3 Things Investors Must Know for Monday

3 Things Investors Must Know for Monday

What You Need to Know About Facebook and Europe's New Privacy Rules

What You Need to Know About Facebook and Europe's New Privacy Rules

8 Bold Moves General Motors Could Make to Rev Up Its Battered Stock Price

8 Bold Moves General Motors Could Make to Rev Up Its Battered Stock Price