Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.1%. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum rose $2.79 (3.4%) to $84.34 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 5,954,509 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,494,400 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $81.55-$85.65 after having opened the day at $81.55 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $81.55. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Augusta Resource Corporation ( AZC), up 63.1%, Genie Energy Ltd Class B ( GNE), up 19.9%, Pacific Ethanol ( PEIX), up 13.6% and Gevo ( GEVO), up 10.4%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.