Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2014 expiration, for shareholders of McDonald's Corp ( MCD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $100 strike and collecting the premium based on the 96 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 6.5% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $100 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MCD shares would have to climb 1% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 1.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called. The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for McDonald's Corp, highlighting in green where the $97.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $100 strike in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for McDonald's Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $99.10) to be 12%.