One Put, One Call Option To Know About For Wal-Mart Stores

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. ( WMT). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2014 expiration for WMT. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $77.50 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 59 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 0.8% return against the $77.50 commitment, or a 5.2% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to WMT's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. sees its shares fall 3.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $76.91 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 59 cents from $77.50), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 5.2% annualized rate of return.

Worth considering, is that the annualized 5.2% figure actually exceeds the 2.3% annualized dividend paid by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. by 2.9%, based on the current share price of $80.42. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to lose 3.64% to reach the $77.50 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for WMT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.3% annualized dividend yield.

WMT+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2014 expiration, for shareholders of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. ( WMT) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $82.50 strike and collecting the premium based on the 46 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 3.9% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 6.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $82.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but WMT shares would have to climb 2.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost WMT Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., highlighting in green where the $77.50 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $82.50 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2013+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2014 put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $80.42) to be 13%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 764,631 contracts, with call volume at 1.50M, for a put:call ratio of 0.51 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

null

If you liked this article you might like

Dow and S&P 500 Finish Higher for Sixth Straight Day of Gains

Dow and S&P 500 Finish Higher for Sixth Straight Day of Gains

Closing Bell: LIVE MARKETS BLOG

Closing Bell: LIVE MARKETS BLOG

Wall Street Futures Are Upbeat Ahead of Long Weekend

Wall Street Futures Are Upbeat Ahead of Long Weekend

Stocks Explode, Walmart Eyes Stake in India's Flipkart - 5 Things You Must Know

Stocks Explode, Walmart Eyes Stake in India's Flipkart - 5 Things You Must Know

Walmart, Flipkart and Everything Else You Need to Know Before You Trade Friday

Walmart, Flipkart and Everything Else You Need to Know Before You Trade Friday