Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Union Pacific ( UNP) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Union Pacific as such a stock due to the following factors:
- UNP has 17x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.22 mentions/day.
- UNP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $328.0 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in UNP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for UNP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on UNP: Union Pacific Corporation, through its subsidiary, Union Pacific Railroad Company, provides rail transportation services in North America. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2%. UNP has a PE ratio of 17.4. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate Union Pacific a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Union Pacific has been 2.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Union Pacific has a market cap of $72.8 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.98 and a short float of 0.7% with 1.58 days to cover. Shares are up 26.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Union Pacific as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- UNP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, this stock has enjoyed a nice rise of 34.76% which was in line with the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, UNP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- UNION PACIFIC CORP has improved earnings per share by 13.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, UNION PACIFIC CORP increased its bottom line by earning $8.27 versus $6.72 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($9.37 versus $8.27).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Road & Rail industry and the overall market, UNION PACIFIC CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 43.23% is the gross profit margin for UNION PACIFIC CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 20.65% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Union Pacific Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.